Leftover Vegan Meatloaf Sandwiches

Aug 20, 2013

Fly Guy came home last night so we celebrated with a real meal. Vegan meatloaf and hasselback potatoes! Something that did't have to be brown bagged the next day. It didn't stop me from playing with my food though.

If you read this post for nothing else you need to read it for the bread.  The crazy rise in a bucket of cold water even you kids could make it bread.

vegan sandwhich ideaThe Bread:  I'm reading the most fantastic cookbook right now entitled Ancient Grains for Modern Meals .    I took her Floating Sesame Loaf recipe and swapped out the seeds for Italian seasonings.  You knead the dough for just 2 minutes then set it in a pan of cold water until it floats to the top about 10 minutes later.  Set it on the counter for a few minutes more then bake it.   So so so so easy.  Get the recipe in her book or online here.

floating bucket breadThe Meat:  Vegan meatloaf sound so gross.  I know!  This one doesn't contain tofu if that helps.  It's actually really tasty and meaty.  I left out the nutritional yeast, swapped brown sugar for molasses and didn't have a bay leaf.  It didn't matter.  The first time I made it I even put PB in place of Tahini Paste. Bulgar can be found at Winco in the bulk bins if you have one nearby.  In St. Louis I found a bag of it at an International Market for just over a dollar a pound.   I doubled the recipe.  One for a loaf and the other made 3 1/2 dozen meatballs for the kids lunches.  You can find the recipe in the book Let Them Eat Vegan or online here.

vegan meatloaf sandwich

The Vegan Mayo:  Another 'wha? eww!" the first time I heard of it.  Which quickly turned to "quit eating out of the vegan sauce jar or I'll make sure you will never fly again!"  I knew it was karma when I dropped  it on the floor during photographs.   To make up I told him I wouldn't judge if he wanted to lick it off the carpet.

There are so many variations of this sauce but I settled with the following:

Cashew Vegan Mayo

1 cup raw cashews soaked in water several hours or overnight
1 TB fresh lemon juice
1/3-2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
optional: minced garlic clove or additional spices

Directions:

Discard the soaking liquid then add cashews along with the other ingredients with the exception of 1/3 cup of the fresh water.  Blend on high in a blender until creamy.  Slowly add the other 1/3 cup water until desired consistency.  Store in refrigerator.
 easy vegan mayo 
The result is meaty and filling!  This would make a great picnic with a side of slaw.
 
Air travel, car travel, down the street to the park travel. Healthy food to pack no matter how you picnic.

Search This Blog