Homemade Apple Dippers

Aug 22, 2013

homemade apple dippers

Apples in a lunchbox never seemed practical to me.  They turn brown cut up and are no fun to eat whole.  While it sounds really lazy... ok, it is really lazy... I hate to use and wash my apple cutter if I'm only cutting one apple.

Recently I've started soaking the slices in a mixture of water and lemon juice and it's changed my whole outlook.  I buy a 2 pound bag of apples.  I spray them with a mixture of 1/2 white vinegar and half water kept in a spray bottle at my sink, rub them around a bit and then rinse.  Then I cut the whole batch with an apple cutter.  Next I soak them for about 10 minutes in a bowl filled with 1 TB lemon juice per one cup ice cold water.  After a quick drain I place them in a gallon ziploc bag, press all the air out, and leave them in the fridge up to 5 days!


 homemade apple dippers 

If I also make a dip the apples don't last near five days in the fridge before disappearing. 

Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip

1/2 cup whole milk unsweetened yogurt
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp honey

Mix all the ingredients and serve cold with apples, celery or pretzels.  My kids dip carrots in it too, but I think that's taking it one step too far.  Eww.

 homemade apple dippers
 
Air travel, car travel, down the street to the park travel. Healthy food to pack no matter how you picnic.

Search This Blog